Monday, August 5, 2013

FCCB Make a Splash Challenge

At FCCB this week,  Challenge #172 is "Make A Splash!". Create a water themed project (Such as a Pool, Water park, beach, etc), and as always, have a least one Cricut cut on your project.

I want to thank The Paper Nest for donating the digital images for the FCCB Design Team-you rock! Please check out all the wonderful digital images available.

Here is Owen Fishing-I made two cards because both of my grand nephews are August babies and this will be so cute for a 7 and 4 year old. I also wanted to show that colored pencils can be used also, not just alcohol markers (mine are Spectrum Noir). Here is my project:


Card #1 (left) was colored with colored pencils. By using the Center Point feature on the Cricut Expression, I was able to cut image out with the Artiste cartridge, (the shape on page 65), using Creative Feature  Accent 3 at 3 3/4". The base was cut out at 4" out of a dusty blue paper twice for the card itself. By scoring the face of the card and attaching brads, the card opens easily.

Card #2 (right) was colored with Spectrum Noir markers, then cut out in the same manner as Card #1, except using a shape on page 66. The base was also cut as described above in a golden yellow cardstock. After scoring my fold line, I sewed the two layers together along the score line with clear monofilament thread. Using the Wild Card Cartridge, (pg 66, Accent 3) I used white paper to cut the fish at 1", colored the fish with the SN markers, and attached them to the card with a brad.

Since these are going to little boys, I covered the brad prongs with paper like this-


I would hate for them to get scratched by those prongs!

7 comments:

  1. Love the shapes on both and your images look great

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will love these! Such cute cards!
    Scrappy hugs, Connie FCCB DT
    http://conniecancrop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute! Your coloring is awesome. Great tip about the brad prongs too. I know your nephews will love them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cards are terrific! I love the shapes you used, and thanks for showing the look of colored pencils compared to markers, side by side. They give such different looks - I really like them both!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cards! Such sweet images and great card bases!

    ReplyDelete